Sunday 30 December 2012

Eat: Cookies!

Well, after the week (and a half) that we just had, this post should be about Drink. But, instead because I said I would go to the Kindergarten party, and bring cookies, this post is Eat. Even though I baked said cookies at 10 pm, after I got home from work. Wine was involved. And then when I iced said cookies at 8 am (with coffee) I will still file this post under Eat. And I will share what I think is the best sugar cookie recipe ever. Well, at least ever in my world. I found this recipe in....you got it, a magazine! Canadian Living last Christmas in fact (I've adjusted ever so slightly) and the icing recipe....adapted from Martha Stewart's Living.



Brown Sugar Citrus Sugar Cookies
3./4 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp each finely grated orange, lime and lemon zest
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

Beat butter with sugars until fluffy. Beat in egg, vanilla and zest.
Whisk together flour and baking powder. Stir into butter mixture to form dough.
Divide in half, wrap and refrigerate until firm (at least 30 minutes)
Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness and cut. Refrigerate on lined baking sheet for 10 minutes before baking.
I find baking time to be anywhere from 8-12 minutes, depending on cookie size, at 350 F

Sugar Cookie Icing!
2 lbs of icing sugar
2/3 cup water (you may need more)
1/2 meringue powder (I get it at the Bulk Barn)
food colouring (I use paste, it is way better)

This make A LOT of icing. Blend everything except colour together. You want it to be the consistency of white glue. Divide into bowls to make colours.  If you want to paint it on, make it a bit thinner (think paint) if you want to pipe it on, keep it glue like. I have little squeeze jars with icing tips that I like to use. I also got this nifty little tool for Christmas:





No comments:

Post a Comment